agate is a Python data analysis library that is optimized for humans instead of machines. It is an alternative to numpy and pandas that solves real-world problems with readable code.
agate was previously known as journalism.
- Documentation: http://agate.rtfd.org
- Repository: https://github.com/wireservice/agate
- Issues: https://github.com/wireservice/agate/issues
Show me docs¶
- About - why you should use agate and the principles that guide its development
- Install - how to install for users and developers
- Tutorial - a step-by-step guide to start using agate
- Cookbook - sample code showing how to accomplish dozens of common tasks, including comparisons to SQL, R, etc.
- Extensions - a list of libraries that extend agate functionality and how to build your own
- API - technical documentation for every agate feature
- Changelog - a record of every change made to agate for each release
Show me code¶
import agate purchases = agate.Table.from_csv('examples/realdata/ks_1033_data.csv') by_county = purchases.group_by('county') totals = by_county.aggregate([ ('county_cost', agate.Sum('total_cost')) ]) totals = totals.order_by('county_cost', reverse=True) totals.limit(10).print_bars('county', 'county_cost', width=80)
county county_cost SEDGWICK 977,174.45 ▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ COFFEY 691,749.03 ▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ MONTGOMERY 447,581.20 ▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ JOHNSON 420,628.00 ▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ SALINE 245,450.24 ▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ FINNEY 171,862.20 ▓░░░░░░░░░░ BROWN 145,254.96 ▓░░░░░░░░ KIOWA 97,974.00 ▓░░░░░ WILSON 74,747.10 ▓░░░░ FORD 70,780.00 ▓░░░░ +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+ 0 250,000 500,000 750,000 1,000,000
This example, along with detailed comments, are available as a Jupyter notebook.
- Contributing - guidance for developers who want to contribute to agate
- Release process - the process for maintainers to publish new releases
- License - a copy of the MIT open source license covering agate
Who we are¶
agate is made by a community. The following individuals have contributed code, documentation, or expertise to agate: